Sunday, 12 July 2015

Disappearing Psoriasis: A non-PhD related post!

WARNING:This post is not a PhD/academic/writing related post. I've been having phototherapy for the last couple of months and wanted to share the progress! 

I have the autoimmune condition Psoriasis. I have the most common form plaque psoriasis, which basically means I get patches (or plaques) of thick red skin with white scales. 

I count myself lucky that my psoriasis doesn't generally itch - and on the odd occasion that it does, some moisturiser usually keeps it under control. I've had it since I was 15 so I've become so used to having plaques on my arms and legs, that I never really felt the need to cover them up and I never made a conscious effort to hide my skin.

People would ask if I had a reaction to something, or had sunburn. Explaining that I have psoriasis; it is not contagious and it doesn't hurt, usually answered the majority of any questions I was asked. 

Recently I started having phototherapy treatment or light treatment. Here's a few answers to the FAQs

1. I am having narrowband Ultraviolet B (UVB) light treatment

2. It's not the same as a sunbed. Though I do have to stand in what is best described as a sun-bed like machine

3. I go to the clinic two mornings a week for treatment. I am 'exposed' to the light for a set amount of time. I started at 15 seconds and now up-to having 1 minute 17 seconds

4. I will have approximately 15 weeks of treatment 

5. It's not a cure and I don't know how long the effects of the treatment will last! 


Here are some photos of my progress (left arm and elbow)

Before Treatment




Week 1 









Week 5








Week 8
Week 11










Week 13
Some Useful Links
https://www.psoriasis-association.org.uk/
https://www.psoriasis.org/

1 comment: