Unfortunately for me, my "flow" time doesn't match the widely accepted "clock" time that most of the working world adheres to - in my case I work best in the early hours of the morning, which either means becoming nocturnal (not ideal when you are also working) or getting up really early! So I get up early - I'm reasonably good at getting up early anyway but 6am starts are less and less appealing as the winter approaches!
So what strategies have I put in place to manage myself?
- The heating comes on before the alarm goes off! - the cold is not an excuse for not getting up
- My bag is mostly sorted out the night before! - saves me time wasting in the morning
- My phone reads out my diary for the morning - it's a good reminder of where I have to be and when.
- On PhD days, when I get to the office, I make a cup of tea and check my emails first thing
- I'm making the effort to get on with writing during the day and not during the night!
So as winter approaches, I hope I am making the effort to work with winter and not against it - it's not a good excuse to hibernate, hide from the weather or the office!
Will I manage my time and myself better? I'm not sure I will, but hopefully I will be less likely to get distracted. Now all I need to do is avoid getting ill!